Monday, October 25, 2010

October 25

Downloaded Smartfox server.  Read up on things, looked at examples.  There is an awful lot there to go through.  I will be using the SmartFox server Pro, as it seems to be the version of choice when using action script 3.
A problem is, that they give you a good amount of examples and tutorials but most of them are for AS2, which does not help me very much.  Fortunately, I found a couple of helpful examples somebody posted on a forum somewhere where they turned an AS2 avatar chat tutorial into AS3.
A lot what I saw in the examples is a bit beyond my actionscripting skills right now, but I will see what I can do.  Sometime in the next few days I will try to take some pieces out from the tutorial examples and see if I can make an extremely basic program that just allows two "avatars" to move around the screen at the same time.  If I can do that without hurting myself I will feel a bit more confident about moving on in this direction.
I'll have to hold off on starting to write my proposal until I have a better idea of how the whole social aspect might work and how it will affect the disign and layout of the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment