Monday, November 22, 2010

Zoo Meeting

I went to back to the Dublin Zoo today to meet with Una Smyth, education officer at the Dublin Zoo.

We talked about the educational programs they run there with younger and older students.  I was impressed how extensively they work with 2nd and 3rd level students.

She let me know that they are in the process of redesigning their website.  They have a gal who is working on it, so i could probably get in touch with her if necessary.

Una also seemed very interested in the idea of incorporating my project into their website in the future if it turns out well.  This is something that had crossed my mind, but i thought it to presumptuous to bring up.  So hopefully it will turn out somewhere between good and great and I can get it thrown up as a bonus feature on the new Dublin Zoo website.

I asked if there was an image bank that I could make use of if I needed and indeed there is and I could.

I asked a few questions about this and that and found out the following.
Among the favorite features of young visitors are the big animals and the reptile house.  School groups very much enjoy when they get to see the Keepers feeding the animals and talking to them.
She would like to see something interactive and fun that promotes their message of conservation.

I also got a big ol' folder of worksheets, program guides, posters and news letters.  Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment